Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Knitting Pattern: Chunky Ribbed Hat


This yet again another present I had made for somebody for Christmas (see, I told you I was busy!). This was a really easy knit and also really fast. And again, I'm including videos for the different stitches you need to know (I might as well make this as easy for you as I can). I originally found the pattern on Ravelry by Groovy Mom. If you click on the link it will take you to the original pattern. I pretty much followed the pattern exactly, except instead of knit I did a twisted knit. The reason I did this is because of the type of yarn I used. I use a brand called Homespun and it tends to be really fluffy. The twisted knit tends to give the hat more structure which was needed with this type of yarn. I also decreased differently so the decrease wasn't so extreme.

So to get started you are going to need:
16 inch circular needle size 10
Size 10 DPNS (for the end of the hat)
A Ball of Bulky/12ply yarn (I used Homespun)
A stitch marker

What you need to know: (click on the stich you need to know to be taken to the video)
Long tail cast on
Join in circle 
Twisted Knit Stitch
Purl (continental) Purl (throwing)
K2TOG (Knit 2 Together)
P2TOG (Purl 2 Together)
Bind off
How to weave in the ends
Cast on 84 stitches & join in a circle. Place your marker.

Then K2 (knit 2) P2 (Purl 2) and repeat for each row. (If you are doing the twisted rib like I did, then instead of knit do the twisted stitch instead).

You will always be knitting (or twist knitting) the knits and purling the purls. Keep repeating until your hat is about 9 inches long. Once it's 9 inches you can start the decreases.

Decrease: (my knits were twisted knits) As a note, when you K2TOG, you can still do the twisted stitch, just insert you needles into the back loops.

Switch to DPNS
Row 1: K2TOG, P2, repeat
Row 2: K, P2, repeat
Row 3: K, P2 TOG, Repeat
Row 4: K, P, repeat

Now cut a tail about 15 inches long. Put on a big needle and pull it through the remaining stitches on your needles. Pull tight and it will close the top of the hat up. Then turn it inside out and weave in your ends!


Enjoy your new hat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...